Tuesday, December 10, 2013

TREE PICKIN' & A MERRY PLAYLIST






The familiar, comforting fragrance of the pine needles, the soft glow of the twinkling lights peeking through the branches, the sparkle of the ornaments filled with memories… Yes there is indeed something very magical about Christmas trees. 
My family had a real tree most of my childhood Christmases. I can remember inhaling the sweet scent and smiling whenever I walked into the house. I spent nights in the living room, lying by the tree and looking up at it in awe and excitement. It never felt like Christmas until the tree was up and decorated. Until we stoked a fire, put on the Christmas carols, and sipped eggnog while reading Christmas stories. 

This year Zach suggested that we start a new tradition in our family and chop down our own tree. I was beyond thrilled by this proposition and immediately started making arrangements. I discovered the perfect, quaint little family farm and just like that our Saturday was booked.
We invited my family to share in our new tradition, and it ended up being a marvelous, albeit freezing, day! You guys, they had a petting zoo, and I could hardly contain my tears of joy. (I’ve been doing that lately, crying over farm animals. I can’t drive by cows anymore without my mascara running. What is wrong with me.)
Our tree was absolutely perfect. I've never seen a more Christmas-y tree. Every time I walk past it, I’m just filled with so much happiness! Maybe it’s a little ridiculous, but it’s the little things guys. 



I've recently become obsessed with Spotify, and I created a lovely little Christmas playlist to share with you! It's just a few tracks to mix in with your holiday collection- let me know if you have any favorites I can add! I'm always expanding my music tastes. 


I love to find the true Christmas meaning in these little traditions, to focus on what matters most. I stumbled upon this lovely article by Jeffrey Marsh entitled “Symbols of the Savior at Christmas” and he illustrates the symbolism tied to the tree beautifully, “The evergreen color of the tree, still vibrant in the dead of winter, can symbolize the eternal life Jesus Christ provides which enables us to overcome death. The green needles on each branch pointing heavenward serve to remind us that it is not who comes down the chimney that matters, but Who came down from heaven. Jesus Christ is the divinely appointed Savior and Redeemer, and "there is no other name given whereby salvation cometh" (Mosiah 5:8; see also 3:17).
Even the lights on the tree, when seen with greater vision, become tiny, shining reminders of the declarations in the scriptures that Jesus Christ "is the light and the life of the world; yea a light that is endless, that can never be darkened; yea, and also a life which is endless, that there can be no more death" (Mosiah 16:9). They remind us of His declaration: "I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life" (John 8:12).”

I hope you all enjoy merry festivities this Christmas season, and focus your hearts and minds to our beloved Savior. Merry Christmas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive