Monday, October 8, 2012

General Conference {October 2012}

{Most of these are paraphrasing-When the talks are available to read I'll update. And unfortunately, I didn't take notes on Sunday morning's session (whhhyyy?!?), but Elder Holland was, as always, my favorite!}

When you were baptized, and thus joined the church,
you enlisted to serve God.

In quite a few talks, there was a strong message of parenthood, and caring for children. It made me extremely nervous, and extremely excited for Zach and I to one day begin our own family. 

Parents need to show their children through their personal example and actions that they have faith in the Savior, that they love the Savior, and have faith in and love for the prophets and leaders of the church.
Parents must make teaching the gospel in the home a main priority. They should share their testimonies often with children. Parents should help children live in the world and not be of the world.


Strive to feel the spirit NOW!


Zach and I had the blessed opportunity to be sealed in the Salt Lake Temple on our anniversary a little over a month ago. It was truly an amazing experience. We are so privileged to live in a place where there are so many temples nearby for us to visit. We recently went back a couple weeks ago to participate in a session, and I realized that I have completely fallen in love with the temple. I've never felt the spirit as strong as when I am within those walls. It is a place where I can escape from the stress of my daily life, and focus on helping others, and focus especially on my personal relationship with my Savior. Mine and Zach's relationship as husband and wife has been noticeably strengthened since attending the temple as well. I am so grateful to be worthy to participate in temple ordinances. 
You can imagine my excitement when new temples were announced in Arizona and Peru, and when temple work was mentioned at all!

Make the temple a focal point in our lives

In the temple, it's not what you see, but what you feel.

There was also frequent mention of acting on promptings from the Holy Ghost.

Never postpone a prompting

Heavenly Father guides our footsteps when we act upon a prompting.

Sometimes, the Lord answers another person's prayer through you.

I am so grateful for my Savior's atoning sacrifice. I have personally experienced it in my life as I realized my own shortcomings, and utilized the atonement to become more like him through repentance, and through ultimately feeling his love and forgiveness.

Look forward with hope, 
rather than backward with despair

"Because I live, ye shall live also"

All can be made right through the atonement of Jesus Christ

Live in the moment

"Resolve to be happy!"

"I pray that we won't wait until we're ready to die, before we truly live."

Good intentions are not enough, we must ACT.

Spread the love of Christ!

Pray for opportunities to serve

"Have I done any good in the world today? Have I helped anyone in need?" 
Make it a goal to be able to say YES everyday!

I love reading the Book of Mormon, however, I'm pretty horrible about keeping up on it everyday, or even every other day. Zach and I do fairly well, but sometimes we fall behind as well. And although I can say with complete confidence that I know the Book of Mormon to be a true testament of Christ, I still really enjoy listening to others bear witness of this too.

 
 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would aask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not btrue; and if ye shall ask with a csincere heart, with dreal intent, having efaith in Christ, he will fmanifest thegtruth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost. 
And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may aknow the btruth of all things.
"Yes I am a member of the church of Jesus Christ of latter-day saints, and yes I know the Book of Mormon is true!"

There was also discussion of giving up our sins, and our worldy obsessions to follow Christ. This is something I'm aware I need to work on. I become obsessed with sites like Pinterest and Wanelo, which focus mainly on materialistic things, very easily, and then neglect strengthening my faith in Christ and following His teachings. Things like daily scripture study, or even random acts of kindness are forgotten because my mind is on that pair of shoes from Aldo. So sometimes I need to be reminded of what I should be focusing on.  

"Would you sell your soul for a nickel?"

I will give away all my sins to know thee

Why do we devote so much of our time and energy to temporal pleasures? 
We need to lay up for ourselves treasure in heaven.


God is mindful of each of us and never forsakes us

"let him deny himself and take upon his cross and follow me"

"I'll go where you want me to go, I'll say what you want me to say, I'll do what you want me to do, I'll be what you want me to be"

It is not enough to avoid evil, we must suffer His cross and be anxiously engaged in a good cause

"My testimony is my most precious possession"

The Lord knows the level of our efforts, and whether we have done our best

Ye are the temple of God, and the spirit of God dwelleth in you

When you are experiencing a trial of your faith, immerse yourself in what built your faith.

Hold on, fear not, for God shall be with you forever and ever

Prayers are always answered

27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their aweakness. I bgive unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my cgrace is sufficient for all men that dhumble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make eweak things become strong unto them.

-MORMONS ARE CHRISTIAN-

Richard G Scott really emphasized the importance of genealogy and temple work for the dead in his talk. I always know that I should be doing my genealogy, but I never want to do it for some reason! However, the first time I went to the temple after being sealed, it was a completely different feeling from when I went for myself. I felt a connection to the person I was doing the work for, even though I didn't know who she was. That experience has verified to me the importance of doing work for our ancestors, and has strengthened my testimony of the sacred ordinances performed in the temple.

Conversion is a lifetime quest to become more like the Savior

Knowing the gospel is true is the essence of a testimony. Being true to the gospel is the essence of conversion.

All things are fulfilled by faith

The future is as bright as your faith!

It will always be a great sacrament meeting if the sacrament is the center of our worship


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive